First, here are the posts read most by our loyal readers – and more than a few of our opponents – over the last year.
- Jewish reaction to thousands of antisemitic Arab cartoons: no riots, no injuries, no deaths.
- Guardian caves in to bullying on Josh Trevino
- Guardian publishes cartoon showing Israeli leader as puppet master controlling Hague and Blair
- Guardian’s Jewish problem: paper praises extreme antisemitic site CounterPunch as “progressive”
While interest in these posts are not surprising, there was one popular post which caught my eye. Here’s a CW post from Jan. 2, 2011, which still continues to get an awful lot of traffic.
It was published nearly two years ago but is still garnering new viewers.
The post illustrates – via data illustrated at the site ‘Views of the World‘ – the Guardian’s egregiously disproportionate focus on the Jewish state in 2010, using the Guardian’s own compilation of of tags by country. Specifically, stories about Israel came in 6th – behind only the UK, USA, Afghanistan, Iraq and China – in the Guardian for 2010 (1,008 stories about Israel in all).
Not surprisingly, Guardian data for 2011 showed almost identical results - despite the political turmoil and violence in the region due to the upheavals of the “Arab Spring”.
While I expect that the results for 2012 will be much the same as the prior two years, we’ll, of course, let you know when the new data is released by the Guardian.
Until then, we’d love to know your thoughts.
While we’re continually documenting the Guardian’s institutional bias against Israel, what factors do you think contribute most to their editorial decision to devote so much space to covering – via both straight news stories and in ‘CiF’ commentary – the Jewish state?
To all of our (virtual) friends and respectful foes, here’s wishing you a Happy New Year from all of us at CiF Watch.
- Guardian Teacher Network site promotes distorted history of Israel’s birth (cifwatch.com)
- CiF contributor asks: Does Israel depend on the support of right-wing antisemites? (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian readers editor criticizes Steve Bell cartoon as evoking antisemitic stereotypes (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian publishes cartoon showing Israeli leader as puppet master, controlling Hague and Blair (cifwatch.com)
- Banned by the Guardian: My journey at ‘Comment is Free’ comes to an end (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian falsely claims that “almost no” construction materials have entered Gaza (cifwatch.com)
- Arab media more accurate than the Guardian in story on Gaza building material (cifwatch.com)
- Will the Guardian report on war crimes committed by Hamas? (cifwatch.com)
- The cowardice of Peter Oborne. (cifwatch.com)
- Guardian fails to take home top prize at 2012 Dishonest Reporting Awards (cifwatch.com)